So it's been a while since this event occurred but I figured it's never to late to post it. This summer (late July to be exact) my mom came to visit and, as always, we spent time cooking. It started with a trip to the Dupont Circle FreshFarm Market where I was simply overwhelmed by the amazing display of food. There were cheeses, breads, seafood, meats, honey, herbs, fruit, and oh the vegetables. I have never seen such an abundance of incredibly fresh gorgeous vegetables. Mom and I decided that our dinner that night would be a feast of vegetables. The centerpiece would be a sort of updated take on ratatouille. We decided to roast eggplant, zucchini, torpedo onions, baby squash, and heirloom cherry tomatoes separately and then combine them all with herbs and olive oil. It turned out really well. I didn't get pictures of the finished product (too busy eating!), I have decided to include the pictures I do have. Cooking with Mom was a lot of fun and it's always nice to be reminded that a truly satisfying meal need not include meat.
Mom in the kitchen prepping some of our veggies
Eggplant coated with olive oil and ready to be roasted
Torpedo onions, tossed in thyme, kosher salt, and olive oil, roasting in the oven
Heirloom cherry tomatoes being sauteed in olive oil and white wine
No comments:
Post a Comment