Tuesday, February 12, 2008

an ode to avocado (also: random musings on what do do with them)

So I've raved about my adored avocado already (I'm also an avid advocate of alliteration). But I thought it was time to go all out and dedicate a post entirely to this amazing fruit. It should be noted however, that when I refer to an avocado, I am, of course, referring to the Hass avocado, which is the most commonly cultivated in America and also the best tasting. For information on the nutritional content, selection, and storage of avocados, you can check out this helpful article.

Okay, so once you've got your ripe avocados, there are about a billion things you can do with them. In a previous post, I talked about the crucial role of avocado in one of my favorite salads of all time. My grandmother used to eat half an avocado - right out of the skin - as part of her afternoon snack when I was a child (these are the kind of random memories I'll always cherish about my family). You could even make avocado gelato. So obviously, there's a wide range of choices. What follows below are my three favorite ways to eat and enjoy the alligator pear.



#1: BLAT

So lots of people are familiar with the concept of a BLT. It's a simple sandwich with bacon, lettuce, tomato, a light spread of mayo, usually on toasted white bread. Which is all well and good. However, while skiing in Colorado with my family, my mom and I discovered a variation on the classic that would forever change my view of the sandwich.

Avocado is delicious on lots of sandwiches but there is something about the salty bacon, the juicy ripe tomatoes and crisp lettuce that goes so perfectly with the richness of avocado. To provide a recipe for this sandwich would even be overkill. I like mine one of two ways. The classic version involves two strips of bacon, a few slices of red or yellow heirloom tomato, fresh Bibb lettuce, and sliced avocado all on toasted sourdough (no mayo needed). The slightly healthier (slightly because you still have bacon and avocado) version involves substituting crunchy sprouts for the lettuce and using a nutty 7 grain bread.

Simple, superb, and satisfying.

#2: Salmon with Avocado and Sesame Soy Dressing

I have to confess that I'm kind of enamored with salmon. I'm not a total carnivore (I maybe eat meat at 5-6 of my 21 meals in a given week) and I generally end up eating chicken more than anything else. This isn't because I dislike meat in general or red meat specifically. I would consider the lamb at 1789 my favorite meal in the city. However, that said, I eat a lot of vegetables, pasta, and rice at home. So when I want to break out of the box but still stay healthy and light, I go to salmon. There are a lot of different was to prepare salmon but one of my favorites is to bake it and top it with some amazing flavors. And as anyone who's a fan of sushi knows, salmon and avocado play well together.

For this dish, I make a simple dressing of toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, and some grated fresh ginger. Then I brush a little of the dressing on salmon filets and bake them till they are done. While the salmon is baking, I toast some sesame seeds in a skillet over low heat and slice an avocado. I add the sesame seeds and avocado to the remaining dressing and toss lightly and put it in the fridge to chill. Once the salmon is done I top each filet with some of the avocado and dressing and it's ready. The rich creamy avocado and the bright dressing work perfectly with the simply prepared salmon.


#3: Guacamole

In my opinion, any discussion of avocado preparation would be incomplete without guacamole. There are a number of different ways to prepare guacamole. Some people add cilantro, tomato, sour cream, jalapeno, and etc. I for one am pretty picky when it comes to my guacamole. I hate guac with tomatoes in it. This is an abomination in my eyes as part of the appeal of good guacamole is the rich green color. Below is my favorite recipe.

2 ripe Hass avocados, halved, pitted and removed from skins
1/4 - 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime (lemon works too I suppose)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mash to desired smoothness. Eat and enjoy.


So there you have it, my three favorite ways to eat an avocado. I know that I will be counting down the days until the full glory of avocado season is upon us.

Bon appetit!

No comments: