Wednesday, June 25, 2008

rose suggestions

So after the last post, Melissa asked for some suggestions on rosé wines for those that may never have sampled them before. I only started drinking them a year ago, so my knowledge is far from expert, but I have attended two tastings with the always amazing Christy at Food Matters and so I can share some of what I've learned there. First a few basics about rosé, some that I learned from Christy and some things I've noticed on my own.

1. Always serve them cold. I'm often told that Americans tend to drink our whites too cold and our reds too warm but Christy's suggestion was to serve rosés quite chilled.

2. Age matters. A good rosé is one to two years old. Three years is on the edge. So that means this year you'd want either a 2006 or 2007 vintage.

3. Go with what feels comfortable. These are just a few things I've figured out on my own, not wine law by any means but they have seemed to work for me. Since I don't know as much about rosé as I might about other wines, I have learned to stick with trying new ones from regions with which I'm already acquainted. For me this means France, Spain, and the Pacific Northwest mostly. I'm not saying there aren't outliers. One of my favorite rosés is from South Africa. But I've also had a rather insipid one from New Zealand. I also try to stick with rosé made from grapes I'm familiar with: cabernet sauvignon, sangiovese, cabernet franc, syrah. I also have had some bad experiences with some rosés that are on the lighter pink side so I tend to go with ones that are darker colored (think raspberry or deep fuchsia).

On to specific recommendations for wines. I have 4 that I am willing to stake my reputation on recommending. I'll rank them in my order of preference.

1. Vina Aljibes Rosado (100% Syrah, Spain)



This wine is my new favorite rosé. The color is deep and rich and the smell is nearly irresistible. This wine smells like strawberries and caramel and the taste doesn't disappoint. The first taste is full of juicy berry tastes and, after you've swallowed, there's a lingering buttery caramel type taste. This is my perfect rosé for sipping. It's good with food but I enjoy it just as much, if not more, when I can enjoy its caramel and fruit flavors in a pure and unadulterated state.

2. A to Z Rosé (100% Sangiovese, Oregon)



This wine is the only American rosé on my list of favorites. I have tried a few others including a cabernet franc rosé from California but I haven't found any that I've been crazy about. This one, however, is the exception. It's got a lot of ripe fruit flavors - cherry, raspberry, strawberry - and a subtle spice to it as well. It's excellent with food and I particularly love it with grilled seafood.

3. U Mes U Fan Tres (1 + 1 = 3) Rose (100% Cabernet Sauvignon, Spain)



This is the very first rosé I ever fell in love with and it's probably one of the best wines around for summer barbecues. The first thing I noticed about it was it's deep color and intense aroma. This wine hits the nose more like a red than a rosé with a scent of currants, cherries, and a hint of a cocoa. It's got a big flavor to match and I recommend drinking it with food instead of on its own since the flavor is so big. It stands up really well to grilled meats and smoky flavors. Last summer T and I drank a bottle of this with some grilled chicken that had been marinated in our spicy tequila lime marinade and then basted with a bit of T's barbecue sauce (which has been officially named boomshakalaka by the way) and it held up beautifully and was a great compliment to the meal.

4. Mulderbosch Rose (98% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Cabernet Franc, South Africa)



This is the lightest of the bunch. It's from the Stellenbosch region of South Africa which is often noted as the best region in that country for growing wines. The Mulderbosch winery produces some great wines including a really tasty Chenin Blanc. Their rosé offering is no disappointment. It's got a crisp, fruity scent and the taste is a refreshing balance of rich berry and lively grapefruit flavors. This is a pretty easy wine to drink on its own but I also really love this paired with a great salad or some seafood.

So those are just my favorites. I hope you'll try some or all of them and let me know what you think. Happy drinking!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The Vina Aljibes Rosado sounds lovely. Do you know where is can be bought online because that it where i buy most of my wine from due to my working hours. The Mulderbosch Rose might also be worth a try too.

AK said...

I haven't been able to find the VA online, most of the sites are European. However, the Mulderbosch should be easy to locate. As for the VA, I would suggest that if there is a wine store you know you can ask a manager to see if they can order it for you.