Thursday, June 19, 2008

summer lovin'

Okay, so I know about 3 weeks ago I promised new posts would be forthcoming. And then I kind of fell down on the job. Massively. So I apologize. But now that summer is basically upon us, I wanted to share some of my favorite food and wine related summer things with you.

1. Al Fresco Dining
So this is probably a no-brainer but one of the things I love most about summer is dining outside. I'm not sure what it is about al fresco dining that makes it so much more relaxing than eating indoors. Maybe it's some super-spiritual communing with nature sort of thing. Maybe it's because, when dining outside, it's hard to see into the kitchen and think about all the dishes to be done. Perhaps it's because outside we're usually away from computers, tvs, phones and all the technological advances that make it nearly impossible to have a relaxing dinner that is just as much about good conversation as it is about food. Whatever the reason, evenings spent eating and drinking outdoors are one of the best things about warmer weather.

2. Summer Wines
Make no mistake about it, I drink wine all year long. Maybe some people can still enjoy a big, robust cabernet or spicy syrah when it's hot and humid out, but I have a hard time. Which makes summer the perfect time to explore some great wines that may be neglected during other seasons. Number one on this list, for me, is rosé. Most people think of rosé and they immediately think of cloying, insipid, and, often, cheap wines. Like white zinfandel. Ick. Fortunately, I went to the rosé tasting at Food Matters last summer and it opened up a whole new world for me. Dry rosé has all the flavor and intensity of red or white wines with notes ranging from citrus to deep red fruits and they come in a whole range of hues from pale pink to deep raspberry. They are great wines to just drink solo while relaxing outside but also have the chops to stand up to summer's bold flavors: think burgers, barbecue, steaks, deviled eggs, picnic salads with creamy dressings...

Other highlights of summer wine for me include: Alsatian riesling and gewurztraminer, smooth whites from Bordeaux, grassy sauvignon blancs from New Zealand, elegant Sancerre with a taste like rain soaked rocks, and Chrysallis Vineyards' smooth, fruity, and chilled patio red.

3. Seasonal Foods
There are so many great foods that are in season in summer that it's impossible to keep track of all of them. The local farmers' markets are literally a buffet of summer tastes and bright colors. Here in Virginia, some of my summer favorites include: asparagus, sweet corn, yellow squash and zucchini, vibrant strawberries, tart and sweet blueberries and raspberries, juicy tomatoes, yummy stone fruit like peaches and nectarines, and so much more.

Those are just three of the things I love most about summer. Up next, recipes. I've made a couple of dishes as of late that are perfect for enjoying on a summer night so I'll get those recipes posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Any suggestions for good rose wines for those of us who haven't sampled that genre?